Siddhāttha Gautama (566 B.C. – 486 B.C.) ancent India philosopher, founder of Buddhism.
2048. When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.
2049. Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion.
2050. You are the source of all purity and impurity. No one purifies another.
2051. There is no fire like passion. No crime like hatred. No sorrow like separation. No sickness like hunger, and no joy like the joy of freedom.
2052. It is better to do nothing, than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself.
2053. How easy it is to see your brother's faults. How hard it is to face your own.
2054. There is pleasure, and there is bliss. Forgo the first to possess the second.
2017. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
2018. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care, for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
2019. To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
2020. Good men and bad men differ radically. Bad men never appreciate kindness shown them, but wise men appreciate and are grateful.
2021. Wise men try to express their appreciation and gratitude by some return of kindness, not only to their benefactor, but to everyone else.
2022. Be a lamp unto to yourself.
2001. Do not dwell in the past, do not dwell in the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2002. Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.
2003. One thought leads to heaven, one thought thought leads to hell.
2004. Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
2004. The tongue like a sharp knife kills without drawing blood.
2004. An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
2005. Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.
1972. When it is impossible for anger to arise within you, you find no outside enemies anywhere.
1973. A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
1974. You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.
1975. It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
1976. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
1977. I don't wish to be everything to everyone, but I would like to be something to someone.
1978. To forgive others is to be good to yourself.
1875. On a long journey of human life, faith is the best of companions; it is the best refreshment on the journey; and it is the greatest property. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
1876. We are what we think. With our thoughts, we make our world.
1877. Suppose an enemy has hurt you in his own domain, why should you annoy yourself and hurt your mind in your own domain?
1878. Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded. But once mastered, no one can help you as much. Not even your father or your mother.
1879. Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.
1869. And man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others.
1870. All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
1871. Happiness never decreases by being shared. To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
1872. Be vigilant; guard your mind against negative thoughts.
1872. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
1873. The greatest prayer is patience.
1874. Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
1829. Happiness is a journey not a destination.
1830. Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others.
1831. An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside.
1832. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
1833. To be angry is to let others' mistakes punish yourself.
1834. Your work is to discover your work, and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.
1835. You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind.
1836. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
1837. Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind.
1823. An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
1824. There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
1825. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
1826. What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.
1825. He is able who thinks he is able.
1826. The Way is not in the sky. The Way is in the heart.
1827. Through zeal, knowledge is gotten; through lack of zeal, knowledge is lost.
1828. Being deeply learned and skilled, being well-trained and using well-spoken words, this is good luck.
1787. If you wish to be gentle with others, be gentle first with yourself.
1788. Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
1789. Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial.
1790. There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
1791. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
1792. It's wrong to think that misfortunes come from the east or from the west; they originate within one's own mind. Therefore, it is foolish to guard against misfortunes from the external world and leave the inner mind uncontrolled.
1793. Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.
1092. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace。
1093. If a man’s thoughts are muddy, If he is reckless and full of deceit, How can he wear the yellow robe? Whoever is master of his own nature, Bright, clear and true, He may indeed wear the yellow robe.
1094. Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
1095. One should strive to understand what underlies sufferings and diseases – and aim for health and well-being while gaining in the path.
1096. If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key.
1027. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
1028. The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
1029. Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
1030. Avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison.
1031. What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.
1032. Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.
1033. There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
1004. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
1005. If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
1006. Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the oceans depth are calm.
1007. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
1008. You only lose what you cling to.
1009. The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.
1010. The trouble is, you think you have time.
1011. As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.
843. When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.
844. A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
845. The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
846. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
847. Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.
848. In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
624. The root of suffering is attachment.
625. Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.
626. Those who have destroyed the roots of jealousy have peace of mind always.
627. There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.
628. One is not wise because he talks a good deal. They are wise who are patient, and free from hate and fear.
629. The world is afflicted by death and decay. But the wise do not grieve, having realized the nature of the world.
630. Some do not understand that we must die, But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.
631. “A disciplined mind brings happiness.
484. What we think, we become.
485. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
486. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
487. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
488. To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
489. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
490. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.
344. There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
345. Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
356. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.
357. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
358. Without health life is not life; it is only a state of langour and suffering - an image of death.
359. To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
23. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
24. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
25. If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.
26. True love is born from understanding.
27. Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.
28. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
29. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
30. The greatest of all conquerors is the man who conquers himself.