Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (1874 – 1965) was British Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. He led Britain to victory during the Second World War.
830. It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right.
831. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
832. It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required.
833. Healthy citizens are the greatest asset any country can have.
834. I never worry about action, but only inaction.
835. Great and good are seldom the same man.
836. We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it.
837. The first duty of the university is to teach wisdom, not a trade; character, not technicalities. We want a lot of engineers in the modern world, but we do not want a world of engineers.
689. It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.
690. To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day.
691. The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong.
692. Without courage, all other virtues lose their meaning.
693. This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
694. “There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not to fear to do or say what you believe to be right.
38. Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.
39. Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.
40. There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
41. To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to change often.
42. The price of greatness is responsibility.
43. If you’re going through hell, keep going.
44. All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honour; duty; mercy; hope.