Laozi was an ancient Chinese philosopher and writer. He is the author of the Tao Te Ching, and the founder of Taoism.
2100. Those who are right do not argue. Those who argue are not right.
2101. The greatest virtue is to follow the Way utterly.
2102. High and low rest on each other.
2103. The great way is very straight, but people prefer to deviate.
2104. First and last follow each other.
2105. True words seem false.
2106. All things flourish, and each returns turns to its source.
2107. Strong winds do not last all morning, hard rains do not last all day.
2108. If Heaven and Earth are unable to persist, how could man?
2109. A good person is the bad person's teacher. A bad person is the good person's task.
2092. The nameless is the beginning of Heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of all things.
2093. The one who does not honor the teacher and the one who does not honor the task, although ever so knowledgeable, they are confused.
2094. All things in the world are born out of being. Being is born out of non-being.
2095. The world’s beginning is its mother. To have found the mother is also to know the children. Although you know the children, cling to the mother. Until your last day you will not be harmed.
2096. Can you make your soul embrace the One and not lose it?
2097. Hold on to the ancient Way to master the present, and to learn the distant beginning.
2098. Knowledge of the eternal is all-embracing. To be all-embracing leads to righteousness, which is majestic.
2083. When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you.
2084. Those who understands others are clever, those who understands themselves are wise.
2085. What should be shrunken must first be stretched.
2086. What should be deprived must first be enriched.
2087. The superior student listens to the Way and follows it closely. The average student listens to the Way and follows some and some not. The lesser student listens to the Way and laughs out loud. If there were no laughter it would not be the Way. 中文 / Chinese：
2088. The straightness of the Way seems curved. 中文 / Chinese：
2089. When everyone in the world sees beauty, then ugly exists. 中文 / Chinese：
2090. The whole world says that my Way is great like nothing else. It is great because it is like nothing else. If it were like everything else, it would long ago have become insignificant. 中文 / Chinese：
1387. The career of a sage is of two kinds: He is either honored by all in the world, Like a flower waving its head, Or else he disappears into the silent forest.
1388. The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be.
1389. The people are hungry: It is because those in authority eat up too much in taxes.
1390. The power of intuitive understanding will protect you from harm until the end of your days.
1391. The sage does not hoard. The more he helps others, the more he benefits himself, The more he gives to others, the more he gets himself. The Way of Heaven does one good but never does one harm. The Way of the sage is to act but not to compete.
1392. The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.
1393. Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
1319. Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?
1320. Ambition has one heel nailed in well, though she stretch her fingers to touch the heavens.
1321. Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.
1322. Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.
1323. One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him.
1324. People in their handling of affairs often fail when they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end as he was at the beginning, there will be no failure.
1325. Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
1326. Silence is a source of great strength.
838. The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth.
839. If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.
840. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
841. At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.
842. If you understand others you are smart.
If you understand yourself you are illuminated.
If you overcome others you are powerful.
If you overcome yourself you have strength.
If you know how to be satisfied you are rich.
If you can act with vigor, you have a will.
If you don't lose your objectives you can be long-lasting.
725. Time is a created thing. To say ‘I don’t have time,’ is like saying, ‘I don’t want to.’ ”
726. Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.
727. If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.
728. If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.
729. In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.
730. Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.
574. The best fighter is never angry.
575. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.
576. Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies, you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.
577. Care about what other people think, and you will always be their prisoner.
578. Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.
579. Loss is not as bad as wanting more.
413. I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.
414. A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar.
415. Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
416. Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
417. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
418. Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.
419. When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
45. Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.
46. An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox.
47. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
48. Do not look only at yourself, and you will see much. Do not justify yourself, and you will be distinguished. Do not brag, and you will have merit. Do not be prideful, and your work will endure.
49. From caring comes courage.
50. Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish. Do not overdo it.
51. Great acts are made up of small deeds.
52. He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty.