Khalil Gibran (1883 – 1931) was a Lebanese writer, poet, and visual artist. Gibran's work: "A Tear and a Smile", "Sand and Foam", and "The Prophet".
1880. Wisdom stands at the turn in the road and calls upon us publicly, but we consider it false and despise its adherents.
1881. Most people who ask for advice from others have already resolved to act as it pleases them. 。
1882. Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do.
1883. Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.
1884. Knowledge of the self is the mother of all knowledge. So it is incumbent on me to know my self, to know it completely, to know its minutiae, its characteristics, its subtleties, and its very atoms.
1885. The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply.
1817. The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master.
1818. The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.
1819. The just is close to the people's heart, but the merciful is close to the heart of God.
1820. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.
1821. Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
1822. Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood.
1741. Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.
1742. When love beckons to you, follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
1743. Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
1744. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the souls.
1745. Love… it surrounds every being and extends slowly to embrace all that shall be.
1746. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
1747. If the other person injures you, you may forget the injury; but if you injure him you will always remember.
1641. Much of your pain is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
1642. Would that I were a dry well, and that the people tossed stones into me, for that would be easier than to be a spring of flowing water that the thirsty pass by, and from which they avoid drinking.
1643. Of life's two chief prizes, beauty and truth, I found the first in a loving heart and the second in a laborer's hand.
1644. Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
1645. Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills?
1646. Knowledge cultivates your seeds and does not sow in your seeds.
1647. Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.
1606. Exaggeration is truth that has lost its temper.
1607. To be able to look back upon ones life in satisfaction, is to live twice.
1608. All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind.
1609. No man can reveal to you nothing but that which already lies half-asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.
1610. Love is trembling happiness.
1611. Are you a politician asking what your country can do for you or a zealous one asking what you can do for your country? If you are the first, the you are a parasite; if the second, then you are an oasis in the desert.
1563. Truth is a deep kindness that teaches us to be content in our everyday life and share with the people the same happiness.
1564. Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being.
1565. I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires.
1566. A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
1567. If you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work.
1568. If my survival caused another to perish, then death would be sweeter and more beloved.
1569. Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.
1506. In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.
1507. Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.
1508. Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never a opportunity.
1509. For life and death are one, even the river and the sea are one.
1510. Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.
1511. Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
1512. Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.
1477. Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.
1478. Zeal is a volcano, the peak of which the grass of indecisiveness does not grow.
1479. The person you consider ignorant and insignificant is the one who came from God, that he might learn bliss from grief and knowledge from gloom.
1480. Poverty is a veil that obscures the face of greatness. An appeal is a mask covering the face of tribulation.
1481. The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is.
1482. Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.
1483. Your daily life is your temple and your religion. When you enter into it take with you your all.
1449. And God said love your enemy and I obeyed him and loved myself.
1450. Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.
1451. Many seek life without, unaware that is within them.
1452. Forgetting is a form of freedom.
1453. By losing your goal, you have lost your way.
1454. We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.
1455. You have your ideology and I have mine.
1456. Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.
1457. If in the twilight of memory we should meet once more, we shall speak again together and you shall sing to me a deeper song.
1246. Rest in reason; move in passion.
1247. The real test of good manners is to be able to put up with bad manners pleasantly.
1248. Much of your pain is self-chosen.
1249. Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.
1250. Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
1251. Knowledge cultivates your seeds and does not sow in your seeds.
1252. A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
1253. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.
1121. If the other person injures you, you may forget the injury; but if you injure him you will always remember.
1122. The lust for comfort murders the passions of the soul.
1123. Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.
1124. But let there be spaces in your togetherness and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls."
1125. A traveler I am, and a navigator, and every day I discover a new region within my soul.
1126. Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.
1127. If your heart is a volcano, how shall you expect flowers to bloom?
933. There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
934. Love and doubt have never been on speaking terms.
935. The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.
936. Much of your pain is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
937. Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary.
938. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.
939. Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do.
940. Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being.
532. To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but what he aspires to.
533. I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
534. I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy.
535. Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.
536. Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.
537. March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection. March on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path.
538. Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
130. Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.
131. If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were.
132. If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
133. You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts.
134. Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.
135. Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
136. We are all like the bright moon, we still have our darker side.